- So You Want To Run A Postal Service Part 1 – HowIntro This one’s been a long time coming. Back in March I posted this piece about how medieval banking actually worked and how we can integrate banking into our games to make them more immersive. I mentioned off-handedly that I would write a piece on medieval postal services at some point. Here is that piece, … Continue reading So You Want To Run A Postal Service Part 1 – How
- Yes And Is (Probably) Not Helping YouIntro This has been on my mind for a good long while and I’ve struggled to articulate exactly what my position is. In fact, I’m still not sure that I’ll do this topic justice. Still it’s worth a try, because quite frankly I think the touting of ‘Yes And’ as the key to good DMing … Continue reading Yes And Is (Probably) Not Helping You
- Running the Sandbox: Finding the QuestIntro So here I am now writing the 3rd piece in what was supposed to be a one-off explanation of a useful game concept. I guess I have more to say about this than I originally thought. Once again we must go back to the first piece in this series wherein I discuss the shift … Continue reading Running the Sandbox: Finding the Quest
- Revisiting the Clockwork Setpiece: RoguelikesIntro So a little under a year ago I posted This Piece that discussed something called the ‘Clockwork Setpiece’. This is a convenient catch-all terms used to describe things like time loops and other resetting challenges. I’m incredibly proud of that piece. I would say it’s one of my best. I’ve recently re-explored the concept … Continue reading Revisiting the Clockwork Setpiece: Roguelikes
- So You Want To Run A BankIntro Alright, it’s time for the last piece in this series. Or at least the last piece for the time being. As always I might revisit this if I find there’s more to say. So far we’ve broken down how currency was actually used in medieval societies and used that as a framework to more … Continue reading So You Want To Run A Bank
- Managing Multiple CurrenciesIntro It’s time to tackle this tricky topic I first talked about over in This Piece. If you haven’t read that one then it’s not the end of the world, but it is highly related. If you’re reading this piece because you want a better understanding of medieval economics then you’ll find that piece helpful … Continue reading Managing Multiple Currencies
- You’re (Probably) Using Currency WrongIntro So this has been loosely on my mind for a while. In the endless strive to have my games feel more immersive I’ve started running up against a few problems when it comes to money. You may well have come up against these problems yourself. The PHB’s price lists relative to villager wages are … Continue reading You’re (Probably) Using Currency Wrong
- Design Insights: Defining SuccessIntro We’re continuing the Design Insights series with a bit of a different topic. It’s one that’s probably more fundamental than the ones we’ve covered off so far, but I wanted to get the other ones out first to set the tone of the series. Anyway, the whole point of this series is to help … Continue reading Design Insights: Defining Success
Never Miss A Post!
Get all my content delivered directly to your inbox.